NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts is hiring canvassers to support and promote pro-choice issues and values. This is an ideal opportunity for an individual looking to make an impact on issues they feel passionately about, while also developing skills. We will be going door-to-door to reach out to and have face-to-face conversations within communities to educate people on choice issues and legislation. We have a welcoming and positive work environment. A strong commitment to reproductive rights and justice is a must. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Engage with people in the community, educating them on pro-choice issues and values
Serve as a passionate and professional ambassador for the organization and its work
Consistently show up on time for all scheduled shifts
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to quickly build a rapport in conversation with others, regardless of their views
Ability to follow general script and adjust as needed to audience
Ability to meet reasonable number of doors per night
Able to walk for several hours
Punctuality – shifts have pre-set start times
Positive attitude, detail-oriented, highly motivated and organized
Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
Enthusiastically supportive of mission and philosophy of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts
Previous canvassing experience, either in a paid or unpaid capacity, is preferred
Access to a car a plus, but not required
NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer. All our positions require a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences.
HOURS: 15-20 hours per week, flexible scheduling available Monday-Friday 10-6.
COMPENSATION: This is an unpaid internship. Student of Color Leadership Stipend is available for candidates who qualify; see below on our website for more information.
SUMMARY: NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts works on the political, legislative and community levels to protect safe, legal abortion and to expand the full range of reproductive rights for all women. The Political and Campaigns Intern is responsible for supporting our campaigns around legislative advocacy strategy to advance reproductive rights in Massachusetts. This position will also assist heavily in preparations for the 2016 election.
· Work with members of the Program Team to create and run high-impact advocacy campaigns to engage members both online and offline
· Provide support for our endorsed candidates during high-stakes elections
· Assist in the creation of educational materials for lawmakers and candidates
· Develop materials for volunteer trainings and recruitment
· Support NARAL’s priority legislation both in the State House and in legislative districts
· Research, vet and prioritize NARAL’s endorsement applicants
· Facilitate the candidate questionnaire process and correspond with campaigns
· Help develop plans to elect pro-choice public officials and to put some of the largest reproductive health and freedom issues we face into an electoral context
· Help craft and manage some of our online programs and help us take offline action
· Work to identify top districts for NARAL involvement in state elections
· Passion for social justice and reproductive rights.
· Reliable, self-motivated problem solver.
· A strong interest in the legislative and political processes.
· Eagerness to learn.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Research experience.
· Confidence in using Microsoft Office programs, particularly Excel.
· Detail-oriented and organized.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "Fall Political and Campaigns Intern.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.