Abortion Access for Minors
Confidentiality in Healthcare
Crisis Pregnancy Centers
Get Email Updates
Powered by EveryAction
|Home > Issues|
Crisis Pregnancy Centers
Crisis Pregnancy Centers Lie To Women
Across the Commonwealth, not all women receive the medically accurate information they need to make informed decisions about their reproductive health options. Crisis pregnancy centers are intentionally deceptive organizations that lie to women. They have misleading names like Problem Pregnancy and A Woman’s Concern to attract women seeking reproductive health care. They advertise free abortion counseling, ultrasounds, or pregnancy tests to attract low-income or uninsured women.
Crisis pregnancy centers advertise as if they offer reproductive health care services. But instead, they shame, scare, and coerce women into not getting an abortion and delay time-sensitive care. There are 32 crisis pregnancy centers statewide, and they outnumber real women's health clinics 3:1.
We can work to ensure that all women get the accurate medical information they deserve. An Act Promoting Access to Accurate Medical Information (H.D. 2824, S.D. 329) will restrict referrals to crisis pregnancy centers by requiring that state funded family planning procurements go only to medically accurate, comprehensive providers. This bill will especially impact low-income women who often face the greatest barriers to health care access by educating social service providers about the difference between comprehensive clinics and anti-choice pregnancy centers that lie to women about their health care.
What You Can Do
- In 2010, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts led an in depth investigation about the impact of crisis pregnancy centers in Massachusetts. You can find a summary of the report here, or you can download the full report here.
- To learn more about the lies perpetuated by these facilities, click here.
- Click here to read about our community education campaign against crisis pregnancy centers.
Become an Access Educator as part of our Certified Truth Campaign
- Help to equip women in your community with the tools they need to tell the difference between real health care and ideologically driven crisis pregnancy centers. To learn how, contact Christian Miron at email@example.com.
Share Your Story
- Have you or a friend experienced the harms of crisis pregnancy centers firsthand? If so, your story could be critical in helping us pass An Act Promoting Access to Accurate Medical Information.
- Please contact Samantha Riemer at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can share your story.
Contact Your Legislators
- Tell your legislators that you want to see An Act Relative to Promoting Access to Accurate Medical Information on the Governor's desk!